Saturday, June 2, 2007

Disasters in the Kitchen

Feels like I've had a few of those recently - disasters in the kitchen that is. :-)

I've been trying for 3 weeks now to adapt a recipe for chocolate custard (yogo style). The first week I made it is was too thick. The second week it was too thin (now we're starting to sound like Goldilocks and the 3 bears lol). This past Friday I managed to spill it all over the microwave. I then gave up on using the microwave and tipped it into a saucepan to finish cooking. Then it ended up with lumps in it. The consistency was closer to what I was aiming for though. LOL. One of these days I'll get it right. In the meantime we're going through quite a lot of cocoa.

Today I tried to make some chocolate fudge brownies to take to church tomorrow. It's been a while since I've made this recipe. My poor tray that is just the right size for this recipe must be on it's last legs. It warped in the oven and I ended up with one corner that was well and truly cooked (to crispy) while the middle was still doughy (have to admit the doughy bit tastes yummo though!). Then I pulled it out of the oven and left it to set for just a bit too long and it stuck in the tin (yes I did grease it first). LOL. Thankfully I have managed to salvage enough pieces to make a plateful for tomorrow. :-) The rest of the odd bits I'm sure the family will happily consume without complaint.

And just in case anyone would like the recipe, here it is. I originally found this recipe on the Hillbilly Housewife website when I was searching for frugal recipes. Not sure I actually consider it one of my more frugal recipes (especially if you need to buy the egss) but it certainly tastes delish! (warning: best to make when you want something to share as it is very moreish and eating the whole tray isn't recommended for anyone watching their waistline! :-) ).

CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES

1 cup melted butter (or margarine if you prefer)
2 cups sugar
4 medium eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups plain flour

Melt butter. Whisk in sugar. Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Add salt, cocoa and vanilla. Still well. Add flour and stir.

Bake in greased 9x13 inch pan (approx 20x30cm) at 180C for 25-30 minutes. Tip out of tin (before it gets stuck lol) and when cool cut into whatever size pieces you desire. Dust with icing sugar or leave plain.

* You can also add walnuts as a variation. I must try that sometime as I've read recently how good walnuts are considered for your brain (and mine needs plenty of help at the moment lol).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if it makes you feel better - my first attempt at homemade yogos failed too - it was too runny, but I just froze them in those little icypole maker containers and the kids LOVED them frozen so that was lucky! Haven't tried a second time yet. (Madly Saving, SS site)

lightening said...

That's what we did with our runny batch as well. We did have some for dessert poured over ice cream like a sauce (DH's idea) and then I poured the rest into ice block moulds - chocolate paddle pops. The kids thought they were great (actually I think DH had one as well). I should remember that come summer - bet if I wanted to make a runnier one it would turn out perfect. LOL.