Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Moments Like These.....

I just had to share this. My 2 school age children did the MS Readathon during June and before tea tonight we were adding up the number of books they had read and how much sponsorship needed to be collected. As with a lot of fundraisers for kids these days, there are certain prizes that can be won if sponsorship reaches particular levels. DS had just reached the $35 level which is the minimum for getting a prize. DD was $4 under. Mostly the kids have been good at understanding the importance of why they're raising money and enjoying the reading challenge, but naturally they're aware of the prizes as well.

Anyway, DS disappears and comes back a moment later carrying $4 he'd pulled from his own money box. "Here, I'll sponsor you $4", he told his younger sister. He's 9 years old and gave up his own money (more than a weeks pocket money at that) so she wouldn't miss out on the prize (a cardboard castle or some such). I came so close to bursting into tears. DH just whispers to me "these are the moments as a parent you don't want to forget".

I'm just so proud of him!

DD then decided that since he sponsored her, she'd like to sponsor him as well. It was a very close brother-sister moment that I was so grateful to witness. :-)

It just floors me at times how giving my children are. I hope it's a trait that continues into their adult life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Treasure the joy of the moment Jodi! This story will be passed onto future generations I am sure! Your kids have learnt to be generous because you are! Isn't it great that they think of one another because they know the joy that it will bring to the receiver! A very belated happy 1st birthday for the 2nd! My baby turned 9 yesterday and I cannot believe how fast those years have gone. Being able to enjoy our children as God's gifts is wonderful hey? Thanks again for sharing your precious moment! It made my day! LS

WendyC said...

how very precious...

Penny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penny said...

How beautiful Jodi! That brought tears to my eyes. What special memories and special children.

I can only hope that my boys will be just as giving and generous one day and make me so proud.

Penny

PS sorry for the deleted message... I wanted to edit not delete! LOL

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. I got chills up my spine. They are wonderful kids that you are raising.

Priscilla

Kin said...

That's wonderful. Such giving children! It's almost moved me to tears!

emma.jean said...

Brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face as well, Jodi.