Friday, June 8, 2007

The Simple Things

DH tells me that this morning when he packed the kids off to school they were most excited about their lunchboxes. It's funny isn't it how at times we can go to a lot of cost or effort in wanting to keep our children happy. Some days it feels like it doesn't matter what you do, you can't keep them happy. Well this morning my kids were happy. What were they so happy about? Popcorn in their lunchbox!!!! LOL.

Popcorn is one of those things that has a cycle in this house. I make it for a while then stop and forget all about it. It's not like it's all that hard to make. I have a popcorn maker that DH bought me for my birthday many years ago. It's not like it's all that expensive either. Quite the opposite in fact. I can feed all 3 kids a snack for around 20c. It's just something I don't always think about.

My 9 year old DS had complained a couple of weeks ago that the youngest was getting popcorn while they were at school and "how come we never get any". I think it might have something to do with the fact that the 3 year will ask for popcorn whereas with my 9 year old it can very much be out of sight, out of mind. My memory is about the same at the moment. So with the popcorn maker and popping corn tucked away in the cupboard - it doesn't always get thought about.

So finally yesterday, when the 3 year old asked for popcorn, I made a full batch with a sprinkle of icing sugar on it and then when it was cool I packed up half a dozen snap lock bags (which we do reuse in this house - further to my rubbish challenge) for the kids lunch boxes.

Their reaction this morning just goes to show me that often it really is the simple things in life that are the best! LOL.

No comments: