Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kids in the Kitchen

My 9 year old DS has been asking for chocolate crackles for a few weeks now. This past week I finally bought some copha and suggested to him that he could make them. He was stoked at that idea (quite enjoys being handy in the kitchen - must train him up a bit more, might make my life a little easier :-)).

Of course the younger 2 wanted to get in on the action too. Ordinarily I let them help me when I cook but since this was DS's project, they had to be content with just watching.

DD has a Barbie cooking book and was asking to make something from that. We found a really simple but effective idea that all the kids could get involved in (I wasn't keen to start any project that involved too much effort - Sunday afternoon's are usually a quiet time in this household).

APPLE AND CHEESE SAILBOATS

Cut apple into 8 sections. Remove the core from each section. Cut triangle shapes from any block cheese (we used matured cheddar as that's what was in the fridge). Then you use a toothpick to attach the cheese "sail" to your apple "boat".

They looked quite effective, the kids had fun putting the pieces together (and counting that they had 8 of each item). At the end they had a nice healthy snack to munch on.

I'll have to remember that for during the school holidays when they just need a bit of a distraction. :-)

And I still had enough energy (just) to make some sausage rolls for tea. I've been meaning to make them for a while now and it kept getting put off. I think resting yesterday has probably paid off in the energy stakes. I can smell them now - must be about ready to come out of the oven. Mmmmmm....gotta love homemade sausage rolls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh chocolate crackles - have you ever tried making them with real chocolates (just the melts will do) - even yummier!!

Anonymous said...

I meant chocolate, not chocolates!!
Madly Saving.