Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Simplifying in 2007

A lot of stuff I've read about the Voluntary Simplicity movement has really resonated well within me. It seems so easy to clutter up our lives to overflowing with things like work, stuff, activities, expectations and the like.

So while I haven't really set myself any New Years resolutions or goals for 2007, my general direction is that I'd like to simplify my life a little. Of course, simplifying takes many different paths for different people. I figure there's no right or wrong way to go about it.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Activities - Well with my illness we've had to declutter nearly all of our regular activities. The kids still have a couple but nothing too overwhelming. We've been trying to limit them to one activity at a time, particularly with sport. DS would love to be playing tennis, cricket AND basketball this season. But it's just too much so he has to make a choice. Winter sport is a little easier as there really is only football/netball and they're playing at the same location and time so multiple children playing isn't going to be sending us in all directions.

Work - I've already decluttered my 2 very part time selling jobs (were almost a hobby really but I did make a few $$ out of them). Our biggest challenge this year is that DH has cut back his workload. We feel this is a good move and at this stage it's only a temporary (1 year) measure. The challenging part is that our potential income is cut quite a bit. However, it'll be a good opportunity for us to really consider our future direction and what we really want out of life.

Stuff - Well I'm working hard on not bringing too much more stuff into our home (without at least some leaving at around the same time). I've always found shopping very therapeutic but never really considered the long term ramifications of accumulating stuff and spending money that didn't really need to be spent. So I'm working on reducing my hobby of shopping. Actually I've been working on that for a couple of years now. It's a slow process but I'm getting there. :-) I'd also like to declutter a bit more of the stuff that we're not making use of. It seems like a never ending process.

Decluttering Chemicals and other "nasties" from our lives - this is one area I'd particularly like to work on this year. I already use nearly all natural products for washing and cleaning etc but I think they could be simplified even more. There are some personal care products that could do with reviewing. I'm also working on cutting out chemicals from as much of the food we eat as possible. That in itself is possibly enough to keep me busy for the whole year. :-)

So there's lots to do and lots to learn. If I'm not careful I'll "unsimplify" my life in my attempts to simplify it. LOL. I guess it's just one thing at a time and see where the path takes us. If nothing else, I think we could be in for an interesting year. :-) I'm sure you'll hear more on this topic as the year progresses.

I know I'm about 10 days behind but HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. I hope 2007 is everything you wish it to be and more. :-)

No comments: