Sunday, November 19, 2006

Kids

My 8 year old and his 5 year old sister were having a great game this morning. They were seeing how long they could move around while staying facing in the same direction. Entertainment for the whole family, especially given the direction they were facing was with their backs to the cupboard that has all the breakfast things in it. :-)

It struck me how children are so good at making fun out of any situation. All they had was each other and a tiny spark of an idea to see what they could achieve. You could view it as trivial childish fun. But how sad is it that as adults we seem to lose this ability to laugh and enjoy such simple things. We buy into the idea that we need "stuff" in order to enjoy life.

I've been trying to work out how to teach my children to enjoy life without the need to accumulate "stuff" and spend heaps of money. But perhaps it is I who needs to learn from them.

2 comments:

emma.jean said...

Hi Jodi,

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying reading your blog and am inspired to start my own. :)

Emma.

lightening said...

Hi Emma,
Thanks so much for dropping by and your comments. If you get a blog started, be sure to let me know so I can have a read. :-)